18.5.04

Sega: Another Foot in the Grave

According to EuroGamer, Sammy, a game publisher most known for its pachinko gambling machines, owns 22 percent of Sega and will purchase the remaining 78 percent by the end of the year.

And the knife to the stomach:

Satomi-san, who will be president of the new merged company, has previously expressed his desire to see Sega focusing increasingly on the arcade market, and hopes to use the company's development talent and wealth of intellectual property to build on the success of Sammy's low-cost Atomiswave arcade system.

Will the creative nucleus of Sega survive yet another blow to their collective pride? Probably, but with an ever-increasing arcade-centric approach, will anyone outside Japan be able to tell?

Wise from thy gwave!
Sorry. Had to do that.

No comments: